Friday, August 5, 2011

tmi

I sent out a last minute email to my faithful followers (be one! email trailertrashandtreasures@gmail.com) to see who was interested in dinner Thursday night and Kate emailed back promptly. I asked if she had a preference of which trailer we visited, but she was flexible as long as she could have some vegetarian options. I took this opportunity to eat at a vegan trailer since most of my companions enjoy eating their meats and it seems to be a rare occasion when one wants to eat sans animal products. I suggested The Vegan Yacht since I had missed it the last time I was at the East Side Drive In, but they turned out to be closed for dinner that night. I will say one more thing about The Vegan Yacht: their website is phenomenal and is how I quickly found out they would be closed that evening. Props to you guys for that. I will be visiting you someday soon.

Since we were already in the area of East 6th street, I looked up another vegetarian eatery nearby on my iPhone apps (ATXFoodCart and Eat St). I found a place inside Cheer Up Charlies called Me So Hungry. We also saw the little trailer gathering at the corner of 6th and Waller and it was definitely a light-bulb moment for me. I have seen the tweets and had a vague general understanding of where some of those trailers were located, but now I KNOW. Way South Philly, Lucky J's, Rockin' Rolls, and Spartan Pizza are all in a nice, shady lot right there. We did walk by to check out their menus, but Kate and I share an issue. Here is where the TMI comes into play. We have both been suffering from stomach problems related to digestion lately and have tried to make an effort to figure out the exact cause. She is farther down the path than myself and is trying a no-meat diet to give her system a break. I'm trying no-dairy. Wish us luck. Under these current circumstances, the trailers offering heaps of meat and fried wonderfulness weren't on our agenda last night. We continued on to Me So Hungry.


Walking into Cheer Up Charlies was unnecessarily confusing. The gate we wanted to walk into had a sign that asked us to enter through the front gate, so we reversed direction and walked through the bar instead. Then that was confusing since it was very empty and had a we-are-closed-what-do-you-think-you're-doing-here vibe. We just walked through anyway, ignoring the vibe. Actually, maybe I was making the vibe up since there were a few people already sitting outside. We joined these people and walked up to the vibrantly green trailer to look over the menu. There were a few white boards displaying specials and another menu with the regular items. The regular menu had seen better days. There were lots of "editing" marks all over the signage which made it difficult to determine prices and ingredient lists. They could definitely benefit from an updated menu since online it is so much clearer. Kate and I decided to split the 'Sprung Rolls' on special  (2 for $5) and a sandwich ($6). We had trouble deciding which sandwich to get and the guy working the trailer aided us in the process. We ended up getting the Banh Mi sandwich with the sweet portabella and the vegan Sadie spread.







The seating options were limited and since every table had an occupant, we shared a picnic table with one other guy. He struck up conversation with us while we waited for our dinner and invited us to a party across the street at Fast Folks. Our food was ready pretty quickly and after Kate sufficiently photographed it, we split it evenly and chowed. We started with the rolls. They were full of freshness and after a couple of bites we realized they were also kinda spicy. By the time I finished the roll my lips were fiercely burning and Kate looked like she was in pain as well. I enjoy food that packs a punch of peppery deliciousness, but these were right at my level of intensity. I was very grateful that our sandwich was on yummy french bread since it helped to take the sting away. The sweet portabella was an excellent choice as well. It played nicely with the Banh Mi collection of ingredients and I didn't miss meat at all. It was a good idea for us to share since the portion was larger than I could have handled alone.








I really liked this meal as a whole. I wish I could have understood the menu a bit more clearly, but we got delicious food anyway. I will definitely go back to Cheer Up Charlies to visit this trailer and to grab a few drinks & hang out. Especially if I'm feeling vegetarian that day. Me So Hungry gets a solid 4 out of 5 trailers.

All the photos are by the lovely and talented Miss Stafford, my eating companion. :) Well... except for this one.


Guest Review:

I was so excited to try out this vegetarian trailer during my week long attempt to become a vegetarian (I don't love meat but how the heck do you get protein??). I liked the veggie sandwich Shalyn and I split, but loved the wrap! The sandwich was a little bit too saucy and that's just not my favorite. The wrap was so fresh and light. Full of yummy veggies and a sweet and spicy light sauce. Definitely recommend that one. The atmosphere was also nice! Such pretty light and trees all around. I think it was a little empty when we were there but would be such a fun atmosphere for a big group of friends and strangers.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment