Tuesday, August 30, 2011

best little coffee trailer in texas

Patika Coffee is a small trailer downtown on Congress between 2nd and 3rd streets, and after visiting once, I'm convinced that it's the best little coffee trailer in the entire state of Texas.



Danny and I made plans to have a super-date (that's what we call dates that last an entire day) and I wanted to kick it off with some good coffee. You know, the kind that's way better than anything you could make at home. I didn't want to settle for something that would only satisfy our need for caffeine. No, what I had in mind was something that was enjoyable and that would start our super-date in the right direction, leading to a day that was rich in flavor. Naturally, I do what I always do and looked online for a trailer where all our coffee dreams could come true. I read on Yelp! that this particular trailer had the "best cappuccino" either in Austin or that some people had ever drunk (!), and we simply had to find out for ourselves if it was true. We both ordered one: Danny's a large with an extra shot, mine regular with soy milk.




As we waited the few minutes it took for our drinks to be ready, I mentioned that I had read on Twitter that at this trailer they use the A/C runoff water to quench the thirst of their potted plants. Genius! These mint plants were thriving in this hot Texas summer thanks to the simple set-up. The guy working said he uses the mint for mojitos!


Our cappuccinos were ready quickly, and they were beautiful. This is exactly how they should look! We took our first sips and our minds were blown. These were the smoothest, most delicious coffee beverages in the world. I didn't even want to put sugar in mine (but to just top off the experience, I did add just a half a pack of raw sugar... hey, it's how I like my coffee). They were hot enough, but didn't make me wait half an hour to take a sip without scalding my mouth. We took them to go, but they didn't last long! Danny had nearly finished his on the walk back to the car, and while I usually don't manage to finish an entire cup of coffee, this was too good to put down.



 

This was exactly the fuel we needed to start the super-date and we ended up having a wonderful day. I bet it all had to do with the cappuccinos. ;)

This trailer gets a 5 out of 5 without a doubt. Go there as soon as you can and take me with you!! And get an iPhone 4, these pictures are again from my phone. They may be just as good as my little camera.

Guest Review:

Coffee-or-liquefied happiness?

Little trailer. Big dreams. Patika coffee on 2nd and congress reminds me of the main character in "The little engine that could" at the end of the story: Still cute and lovable but now also strong and popular.

A small trailer-barely sleeping two if used for it's traditional function-in a downtown location, Patika would normally be a small niche provider, quenching the thirst and sleepiness of the financial district's early morning elite. That may have been the end-all of their services if not for one very important factor: It's the best fuckin' cup-o-joe I've ever had. You heard me, "Fuckin'". Shoot, I mean, "You heard me, 'Best...ever'.

Shocking to say the least, yes. But not unchallenged. I myself read a review, not unlike this one (Less provocatively written, sure), that said, in an annoyingly undetermined tone, "That was the best cappuccino I ever had." and I thought to myself...psch, you ain't ne'er been ta Guatemala! Well, allow this snooty reviewer to remind you that I have indeed been to Guatemala and basked in the aromatic glory of world class coffee, and, well, Patika's got 'em beat.

That cappuccino was so dang light and fluffy, I really could have died. I'll be going back soon and you should too. Or don't and let your life continue in it's current course of crappy coffiness. 

Love,
-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment