Tuesday, June 21, 2011

stomachache

What are the odds that two things I really like would be combined? Well when they are movie sets (with Danny working on them) and trailer park eateries, the odds aren't great. What are the odds that two things I really do not like would be combined? When they are pork rinds and anything else edible, one is too many. Both happened Friday night.



Twitter, again, came to my aid in planning an exciting evening. Once I confirmed that the movie set wasn't closed to the public, I sent the email out to my faithful followers (you can be one too! just shoot an email to trailertrashandtreasures@gmail.com) with the details of the evening and BAM! We had a plan for a fantastic Friday night at the East Side Drive In.





 



Walking up to the lot of trailers can be intimidating under normal circumstances, but when there is expensive-looking movie equipment and people rushing around watching other people in brightly-colored leotards dance, it's crazy nerve-wracking. Glad not to be alone, I met up with Sheena and Alisha and we made a loop around the perimeter to check out the offerings. We saw Eat, The Vegan YachtHeros Frozen Treats (but they were closed), Pig Vicious, Pueblo Viejo, Bits and Druthers, Love Balls, and The Local Yolk. On our trip around the park, we stopped in front of Pig Vicious where we scoped out what the guys at the near table were munching. The guys were really nice and talked to us (instead of shooing us away) and turns out that one of them is my Twitter hero, Tony (@FoodTrailersATX)! I embarrassed myself by getting too excited/nervous, but luckily my calm, supportive friend Sheena stepped in and acted casual (normal). She told him about the blog since I was incapable of rational thought (due to both nervousness and extreme hunger at this point) and he seemed interested! Maybe my proudest moment as a blogger thus far. Followed closely by the @mention shout out from him later that night to ask what I ended up eating. Oh boy, was I excited!


Enough about that, we still needed to eat. Tony said the fish and chips from Bits and Druthers were some of the best he'd ever had, so Sheena and Alisha quickly settled on that. Around that time my new roommate, Rikki, and her friend, Weston, joined our party. They walked around and chose to order at Pueblo Viejo. I still could not make up my mind. I circled the trailers like a hunting predator, but could not for the life of me commit to anything. This is not my finest quality. I even walked up to order an egg sandwich from The Local Yolk, but at the last second reconsidered (fatal mistake). Finally, after at least 20 minutes of hesitating, I walked up to the menu of Pueblo Viejo. I wanted a tamale and a taco, but which of each? An interesting character walked past me and overheard my struggle to choose and lavished praise on the chicharron taco. Grateful for any advice at this point, I pounced on it. I asked the lady working the window if it was good and she nodded. She asked if I liked pork with a look of concern on her face which I didn't understand, and I quickly said yes. I also ordered a tamale, but the only ones they had left were the cheese and jalapeno. Sure! I'll take one of those. Throw in a Dr. Pepper, why don't ya. That was my meal, and I was excitedly hopeful it would be as delicious as the friendly service suggested.









After I got my food (since I was last...), we found a table out of the movie shot and sat down for a nice meal. My first bite tasted alright, but there was a strange texture that I was completely not expecting. It was crunchy like something fried, but then also strangely chewy. I couldn't identify what was going on in my taco. Weston coincidentally asked what taco I had gotten at that exact moment, so I informed him it was the chicharron taco. He asked, "Isn't that pig's ears?" And I initially panicked, but then I thought, "well, that's what I get for trusting the advice of an old crazy-looking hippie man." We Googled it, it's actually pork rinds. Both Sheena and Alisha wanted to try a bite and I did not feel the least bit sad to see those bites vanishing from my plate (because it meant I didn't have to eat those parts). I took one more bite myself, before relinquishing the remainder to Alisha who really enjoyed it. Guys, I can't tell you enough how much I hated that taco. I feel the burden of most of the responsibility for ordering it without knowing what it was, but it was gross. I wasn't a huge fan of the corn tortilla to begin with. It wasn't very tasty and was too dry. The flavors in the taco were okaaaay, but not memorable. And the texture.... ugh. I seriously hated it, but at least I had my tamale... right? The cheese part of the tamale was more like a cheese stick that was stuck in the middle with an inch of cornmeal surrounding it, and the jalapeno part was more like a quarter of a pepper in a long slice sitting next to that cheese stick. I'm a fan of cheese so I liked it, but it was pretty spicy still. I ate it, but I've definitely had better tamales (like at the Barton Creek Farmer's Market). Plus, for the $3 I paid, I want more than what I got. And what I got was a stomachache. Probably because of the combination of my taco's strange texture, the hunk of cornmeal with cheese, the fish and chips I sampled from Sheena's plate (DELICIOUS btw), my entire can of Dr. Pepper, and the anxiety of the conversation we were having about the potential of this blog. Blah.


It breaks my heart to say anything bad about these great establishments, but I trust that you understand this is only my opinion and is not shared by everyone. Heck, Alisha finished my taco for me! She obviously didn't have the same problem with the pork rinds as I did. So, with that in mind, I give Pueblo Viejo 1.5 out of 5 trailers because they still had lovely, although slightly misleading, service and they are located in an excellent environment, but I probably won't eat there again with so many other trailers offering better things so close. Guess this makes it the first "trash" for this blog.

Guest Reviews (in the order that I received them):

Here's my review of the night of fame, tamales, tacos, cameras and pigskin.

The tacos al pastor were pretty tasty.  Deliciously seasoned pork with pineapple is always a good combination in my world (almost anything with pineapple is a good combo in my world.)  And, always a plus, tacos served with two tortillas for the taco splitters- thank you for your generosity tacoartists.  (pound it on the tacos)

Jalapeno and cheese tamale... interesting combination.  I would never say that I think tamales are something you should think outside the box on, they are too authentic and wonderful to need to be changed.  I can't say it was more than average... and it is a little wierd to run into a clump of cheese in your tamale.  I shouldn't compare because its not quite fair, but these could never rival the ones that my soccer teams parents make me.  (wouldn't quite pound it on the tamale, I might give a little head nod or something)

Rik

East Side Drive-In: Bits and Druthers

I always enjoy when something I eat evokes memories from my past, especially when it’s a memory that places me in a difference place at a different time. Bits and Druthers at the East Side Drive, reminded me of my summer abroad at Oxford, eating fish and chips and enjoying a nice cold Pimm’s cocktail. Even so, I think Bits and Druthers have done it a little bit better. I got the Fish Supper, which included large fish-in-chip, coleslaw, tartar sauce, lemon wedge and a cornichon, pickle. The fish was served piping hot with a crunchy crust sprinkled with malt vinegar. Trust me, this fish needed no additional condiments. It was seasoned to perfection. It literally melted in your mouth, that’s how well it was cooked.  Furthermore, I paired my fish with Druthers’ coleslaw. It was so light and so fresh. Their menu says that it’s made with celery root, cabbage, and caraway seeds, and you can tell that it’s made fresh.  It wasn’t soggy, it wasn’t too creamy, and it was just a nice accompaniment with the fish.  This dish truly recaptured my summer abroad adventures some five years ago when I was hanging out with friends, discussing British Literature, and enjoying some delicious fish-in-chips. Funny how food can trigger such fond memories...

Shee

Bits and Druthers (Thumbs Up):
Wrapped in a paper bouquet, the fish ‘n chips at Bits and Druthers were hot, crispy and delicious. The fish was light, fluffy and served with a homemade, creamy tartar sauce. If you’re in the mood for coleslaw, I recommend you try this one. It was pleasantly different and the fresh, cool ingredients are the perfect pairing with your fish and chips.

Pueblo Viejo (Thumbs in the middle):
After spending a summer in Mexico, I am a picky about my tacos. Pueblo Viejo was good, but forgettable.  The menu was a little vague and didn’t really spike my interest. If Shalyn had not purchased the tacos, I wouldn’t have thought twice about this place. The ChicharrĂ³n taco was juicy and crispy, but I’ve had better.  I say this place if you’re really craving tacos, if not, I suggest trying something else. 

Alisha

Pueblo Viejo Review:

I love me some Tex-Mex. For a guy that lacks many taste buds, this food actually makes my mouth pop. I got the tacos al pastor and cheese/jalapeno tamale at PV. At first glance I was a little disappointed in the size of the comida. I am a big guy and can put down some Tex-Mex. 

For such a poquito plate, the flavor hit the spot. There is just something about Al Pastor that makes me feel alive. The combo of seasoned meats and mango whisks me away to the islands....and I never want to leave. And I will say that the cheese jalapeno tamales had the slight kick with a punch of cheese that made my night golden.

If you are looking for something not to heavy, but bursting with some sabor.....check PV out!

Weston

No comments:

Post a Comment