Tuesday, June 28, 2011

pork revival


Our skeeball team won a trophy!!! And, after a quick photo, Justin and I walked down West 6th Street to grab some tacos to celebrate. Ian, being the all-star that he is, was still playing in a championship round. But don't worry, Justin brought him back some grub.


After my previous experience with that pork(ish) taco last week, I thought it would be a while before I attempted another trailer-taco built around the meat, but I simply couldn't resist. I've heard (read) about The Peached Tortilla's bahn mi taco (on twitter) and everyone had excellent things to say about it. When I asked Gary (operations manager) which was the most popular taco, the bahn mi was on the list so I felt personally responsible to mend my relationship with the other white meat tacos right then. Great. Choice. We also split an order of the fresh cut Belgian fries with the sauces they gave us (wish I had asked what they were).




I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS TRAILER. The food was fantastic, the location is convenient (behind Star Bar) and updated on their website/twitter, and the people were so friendly! The flavors in my taco were so delicious that I tried to eat as slowly as possible so it would last longer. It didn't even matter that I didn't totally understand the ingredients (pickled daikon?). Trust me, this thing was yummy. I bet the sriracha mayo had a big role to play in that. I also managed to snag a bite of Justin's Pad Thai burrito and it was equally spectacular. The fries seemed like no big deal by the looks of them, but wow! They were packed with flavors and were a softer consistency that I just loved. That one orangey-colored sauce (peach bbq? bacon ranch?) was so delicious that I used my second corn tortilla to scoop up the remnants from the bottom of the container. YUM.




Let me just say, as amazing as the food was, the service was even better. I chatted with Gary about how he got into the food-trailer line of work and about my blog. He also introduced us to the chef. This is probably my favorite part about food-trailering: getting to chat with the awesome people that work their tails off to serve unique sustenance in a crazy-cramped environment. Later I also met Ben, the marketing director for Hey Cupcake! which was really fun.

We took our food to eat at the tables inside the Star Bar patio area and were pleasantly surprised that Gary came over to ask us how things were - like they do at restaurants. He definitely didn't have to go that far, but he did. He also shared with us that the chef had masterminded a new possible menu item an hour before and offered us some of the first batch to try on-the-house. Those Pad Thai-stuffed mushrooms were reeeeeeeally great. I think the mushroom flavor overpowered the Pad Thai a bit, but it was extremely tasty and maybe that's the point when you stuff something: to bring the flavors together while still giving the stuffee the spotlight. In any case, this was fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing with us!



Oh man, I am having trouble putting into words just how great of an experience we had at The Peached Tortilla. This place gets an outstanding 5 out of 5 trailers for just being badass overall. I can't wait until I get to go eat there again. I'm hoping I can catch them at one of their locations at lunch time so I can try more menu items!

Guest Review:

I have a general rule of thumb when I am out to eat, and that is "When a fried egg can be added to the item, you ALWAYS order it." When I saw that they had a burrito filled with Pad Thai, and noticed that they would throw in a fried egg, it was a no brainer. One of their chefs also created a fried mushroom filled with pad thai, and was kind enough to let us try his first ever batch of them for free!

The pad thai in my burrito was very good, although a little on the dry side. The fried egg helped with that, but it was cooked all the way through with no delicious runny yolk (I should note that I didn't ask for it to be fried a specific way, a problem that I will make sure to remedy on my next visit). However, the guy working the truck gave me a cup of sriracha, and using it like a salsa took the burrito up a notch and added just the right amount of juiciness. Just another example of how sriracha makes everything better. The fried mushrooms stuffed with pad thai were up next, and they were excellent. I really hope they are permanently added to the menu, as everything just worked perfectly together inside that little ball of fried goodness. A dab of sriracha again to spice things up, and we have a winner.

With a very friendly and helpful staff, convenient location, and a delicious variety of food, I will most definitely be coming back for more. I recommend you do the same.

Green

No comments:

Post a Comment