Wednesday, June 15, 2011

it's hot.

It has been hotter than Hades this last week in this capitol city and I'm sure everyone is trying to find a way to stay cool. Coolhaus is a relatively new (less than a year old) and awesome ice cream sandwich trailer that boasts some fantastically interesting flavor combination possibilities that will satisfy your sweet tooth while simultaneously chilling you out.


If you know me, you know I'm a nerd. My nerdiness has only been recently multiplied by my fascination with Twitter. I have had an account for some time now, but only in the last few weeks has it become an obsession... and that is all to blame on this blog. I have discovered that even food trailers tweet! And it's glorious for someone who wants to fully embrace the culture such as myself. So, Coolhaus has a very active twitter account and I really enjoy and apprecaite their updates. I have seen them tweet about their location for the day, and this past Sunday I was determined to pay them a visit. Danny, my trusty companion on this mission, had faith in my judgement and twitter-sense and allowed me to drag him to the Mueller Lake Park to get a tasty treat.




We located the tiniest, most adorable food trailer I have even seen and immediately started sampling their ice cream flavors. The sign says to start by choosing your cookie preference, followed by your ice cream but we like to be independents so we opted to go the other direction in the process. Honestly, we just got distracted by the insanely awesome ice cream names/ingredients. Bacon in ice cream?! Real mint leaves?! Red wine reduction?! The guy working the truck (Chance) was so patient with us! He even let me take his picture (multiple times) and got excited when I told him about this blog and my newfound hobby of eating. I could have stood there all day and continued to marvel at the tiny spoonfuls of cool surprises, but we had to get down to business. Danny made his mind up before I did (this is exactly how it always goes... I can never make up my mind about what I want to eat!) and went with the ginger cookies and the brown butter and candied bacon ice cream. He kindly let me have a bite and it was fantastic, but I'll let his review tell you more about it. 


I finally settled on my favorite flavor of ice cream: Lambrusco (the red wine reduction one that has a tricky name), but choosing a cookie was too much for me. Since the ice cream description said something about cinnamon, I just went with the snickerdoodle cookies. Chance hand-scooped the ice cream and sandwiched it nicely between the cookies and boy! was it a handful! I couldn't fit my mouth around it to take a bite, so I resorted to the childlike licking-and-biting-around-the-edge method.  It worked perfectly while also helping me to feel slightly nostalgic, as melty ice cream treats eaten at a park on a hot summer day can do.




I absolutely loved the ice cream part of this sandwich. The variety of flavor options and the incredible quality of each of the flavors will keep me coming back for more all summer. I am, however, very spoiled when it comes to the cookie part of the sandwich and I was kinda disappointed. The snickerdoodles and the ginger cookies were more on the crunchy side than I would have preferred. It made it hard to get a solid bite because of the contrast of hard cookie to soft ice cream. The ice cream just moves out of the way (and out of the embrace of the cookies onto your hands). I licked up every bit of the ice cream, but ended up not finishing a few bits of cookie due to a combination of fullness and unexcitement about the cookies themselves. This is obviously only my opinion on texture, they still tasted great and the experience was overall very positive. I'm excited to go back and try other combinations and see what new wacky flavor of ice cream they can create next!




This trailer gets 4.5 trailers out of 5 because of thier mobility and use of Twitter to update customers on their location, their exrtra friendly staff (Chance chatted with me for the longest time about the company), and their outstanding innovative and delicious ice cream falvors!

Guest Review:

Coolhaus Shmoolhaus

Kidding. I just really wanted to say that. Coolhaus totally lived up to it's name...wait a second...no it didn't. Sure it was cool, but no way was that thing a house...haus*.

Woah, woah...we're gettin' way off track here. Let's get away from the name for a minute and get to the "meat" of the subject. If you don't see how that pun is relevant in a review of a trailer that sells Ice Cream sandwiches, then by golly, you haven't been to Coolhaus, the best damn ice cream sandwich trailer, nay, the best damn ice cream SANDwich in town. (Sorry Tiff's Treats). Man, this place has some killer options for you. All homemade, they can pair up any ice cream with any cookie. That's a whole lotta options: they've got your chocolate chip cookie with a lump o' red velvet; a couple o' snickerdoodles squishin' a scoop o' dirty mint chip (made with real, fresh mint leaves!); Always dreamed of having your Mascarpone & Balsamic Fig leaf ice cream slammed between two soft oatmeal cookies? Fine. Good. No sweat bucko'. This place will turn the dirty insane into the insane tasty like nobody's business, and they'll do it with a smile.
Our particular dessert barista, Chance, was a delight. He gave us free tasters of all the crazy flavors and sold me on my sandwich choice; 2 ginger cookies became the floor and ceiling to my cool Haus treat. and what furnished the inside you ask? A heaping scoop of Brown butter w/ Candied Bacon ice cream. What? That's crazy! You can't put bacon in ice cream!! You better bet your bacony buns you can. And they did. Mmmmmm...I'm still salivating over that delicious treat. Sweet, savory, creamy, chewy, a bit o' crunch from the cookie. Ugh, you guys nailed it Coolhaus.

If it's cold and creamy you're looking for this summer, Coolhaus ice cream sandwiches has got you covered. Check 'em out online to find the whole menu and truck locations each day: http://eatcoolhaus.com/

Till the next trailer, this is Danny. out. 

1 comment:

  1. omg! Reading this blog I couldn't resist.. went to the freezer and got me some ice cream :) Keep on eating and discovering!

    ReplyDelete