Monday, July 18, 2011

quick lunch

I had been feeling guilty about how long it has taken me to post new trailers, so I made a split-second decision one day while working (delivering cookies for Tiff's Treats) to stop by Sushi-A-Go-Go for a quick lunch-time sushi fix. Honestly, this is one of the trailers that has intrigued me since the beginning of this project. I drive by it frequently (it's in the small trailer park on Barton Springs Road across from the Long Center) and always think it would take a giant leap of faith to get people to eat SUSHI (raw fish, etc.) out of a trailer. Especially when it's 100+ degrees outside. But I (wo)manned-up and went for it, solo.




I had read an article in Austin Monthly magazine (thanks Danielle) about the best sushi around town and for this venue they suggested the sunshine roll ($6 on menu, but $6.50 after tax). It has salmon, avocado, and mango... three things that are glorious in combination with each other. That's precisely what I ordered and waited patiently under the bright umbrellas to receive my tasty delicacy.

Notes I made (on my phone because I'm a nerd) while sitting: they accept credit cards ($8 min charge), it was easy to park, the trailer park was small but growing, it was effing HOT outside even in the shade of the umbrella, and the guy working the trailer was really nice and full of compliments. The last note was that the food was ready very quickly even though they were sorta busy. I took my food back to the store to eat, but it was very hard to resist tearing into it right away.




Once I got my set-up for sushi ready (you know...soy sauce, wasabi, etc.) I dug into the platter with vigor. I made a feeble attempt to pace myself in an effort to stretch the meal longer, but I failed. I scarfed down the eight pieces in less than 5 minutes. That's when I noticed what the wrapper of the chop sticks was communicating to me. It's like they were cheering me on the whole time! I thoroughly enjoyed that little detail.



While the meal satisfied my craving for sushi, it wasn't the best I have sampled in Austin. I'd liken it to grocery-store sushi, only slightly better. The packaging was even strikingly similar to those I have found at HEB. The only difference is that I drive by this place nearly everyday and will most likely stop again to try a different roll. I'd even take friends there once it's not so dang sunny and hot outside. The name is cute, the website is good, and the food was just above decent. This place gets 4 out of 5 trailers because they made me want to come back. Whatever magic it takes to get me to say that, they have it. Please let me know if you're craving sushi and need a quick, cheap fix in a hurry. THIS is the place we will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment