Tuesday, July 26, 2011

mellomen

THE Courtney Ray Goodson is back in the United States of AMERICA!! She is one of my best friends from college and just served two years in The Peace Corps in Fiji. I'm very happy she's home, so of course we celebrated by doing a trailer. She had actually looked up some places she wanted to visit before she even got home and Biscuits & Groovy was on the list. Conveniently, I had purchased a Groupon for this establishment so it was a win-win. We located the legendary B&G (on 51st at Duval) and had our first adventure in finding a place to park. This is where we left our car, down the alley behind The Peddler...possibly in someone's private parking spot. But, hey, It was free and there were no signs... :)


Walking up to the trailer, the aluminum siding reflected the bright sunshine and it gave the trailer the illusion that it was creating its own light. The magic wore off since it was so dang hot outside already, but I do like the materials they chose to use for the construction of this unit. It reminded Courtney of her house back in Fiji (which is awesome). The guy inside working, Thoren (hope I spelled that correctly!), was super friendly and gave us the low-down on how things work at B&G. The menu items all have musical-inspired names and we settled on three things: The MC Hammer (Court), The Bee Gee (both of us), and The Johnny Hash (for myself).




While we waited for our food, we sat at the brightly colored tables and sipped on our GREAT tasting iced coffees. Seriously, I was very impressed at how tasty they were. And with colorful straws to slurp through, we were happy campers. Court wanted to share her Harry Potter scar drawing skills with the world as well. We had viewed the last of the films the night before, complete with forehead art that received multiple complements from our fellow movie goers.




I am so glad that at this point I suddenly remembered that this trailer hosts a unique mixed-CD swap. I had thrown together a play list and burned it to a disc right before we left the house so I retrieved that from the car to exchange it for someone else's mix. I titled mine 'Biscuits & Groovy' (creative, right?) and chose to take home a green CD called 'Mellomen.' I almost took home 'Female,' but I am SO glad I got Mellomen instead. I have been jamming to that in my car ever since. I can even go back to B&G to exchange it again whenever I wish, library-style. It was so fun!





Our food was ready shortly after the great CD swap, and I carried it to our table. My Johnny Hash order was HUGE. Thankfully, Courtney liked the gravy aspect of it and helped me take down as much as possible. The biscuits were big and fluffy and perfect for holding an obscene amount of awesome toppings. I added some siracha to half of my order and it was the perfect amount of spice to complement the cheese, potatoes, bacon, sausage, and chives. From my first bite, I knew there was nothing healthy about this meal but I didn't even feel guilty. It was very yummy.  I definitely couldn't eat it for breakfast (or lunch) everyday, but it would serve nicely as a special weekend treat. We went on a Tuesday, but that doesn't matter. It was very filling and exactly what I wanted from a biscuits and gravy dish.






Our table companion, Manny, also enjoyed his meal. It's so fun when I go to these trailers and get to meet new people. I like the limited seating thing, it forces people to be nicer to each other. Who knows if that person might become a new friend, you know?


We totally dominated this trailer and I'm proud of our accomplishment. I'm also proud of this trailer (it's still pretty new). I give it 4.5 out of 5 trailers because it's unique and they are constantly adding new menu items, the mixed CD swap is pure genius, and the iced coffee was so scrumptious. Thoren was also really cool and I really appreciate good people in the service industry. I'd definitely suggest you try this place out.


Guest Review:

Greetings earthlings! 

To start off I can't tell everyone how excited I am to have accompanied my lovely Shalyn on one of these food adventures. I've been waiting so long and was so happy my dream came true!

I love food. I love Shalyn. and I love trailers that sell food. When we started I was so excited for some quality biscuits and gravy, a favorite southern breakfast food I had dearly missed. 
As we arrived fashionably late, feelin' good and lookin' good, we won the Best-Parking-Spot Award as we parked it right next to the dumpster, something I felt played up the 'trailer park' ambiance quite nicely. 

We ordered 3 things to split: the Bee-Gee (biscuit with jam), the MC Hammer (biscuit with turkey sausage, egg, and cheese [and may I also throw out that I felt called to order this one as I not only had MC Hammer pants but also owned and cherished his cassette tape]), and the Johnny Hash (loaded biscuits and gravy with bacon, sausage, chives, cheese, and tomatoes).

All of the biscuits were nice and fluffy and perfectly baked.  To be honest though, I wasn't that impressed with anything sans gravy. The Johnny Hash was so good, partly because it had lots of gravy, but anything without it wasn't stellar and tasted like it was missing something.  Now I don't know if this is because I was either a.) so excited to be here and/or b.) hadn't had biscuits and gravy from America for the past two years. But I just felt like my mom could make better gravy. However, if you're passing through the area and are craving some biscuits- it's definitely worth stopping! :0)

Cheers,
Courtney Ray Goodson

2 comments:

  1. feelin' good and lookin' good. I like y'alls' style. love my Texas gals and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we went there this morning!
    while we were chowing down on our donna summers and johnny hash we thought of you. you hit this spot dead on. portions are huge. next time we'll share.

    ReplyDelete