Wednesday, May 25, 2011

jesus made this sammich.


The Rapture may not have happened, but the breakfast sandwich I ate this morning was blessed by God himself. I kicked off the trailer-hopping at The Purple Bean Cafe and I'd like to pat myself on the back for making this my first stop! I was joined by 3 (fantastic, beautiful, wonderful) friends and everything couldn't have been more perfect.


As we drove down East 11th street, Danielle and I already knew this was going to be good. The buildings and the vibe were workin' for us, getting us in the mood for greatness. We spotted the adorable purple-and-yellow trailer, found a parking spot across the street, and walked up just as Alex and Sheena were getting out of their cars. We were all giddy with excitement as we hugged and began to scan the menu. Quickly, we all agreed coffee was needed (first excellent decision of the day) and then moved on to food choices. The breakfast sandwiches were an obvious choice, so we did what you do... chose our bread, meat, cheese, and extras and got in line.




Sheena ordered first and the lady inside the trailer was the nicest, sweetest, funniest, most energetic server one could imagine. She instantly made us feel even more excited about choosing this place for our first adventure and set the happy tone for the entire meal. She kindly guided me through the ordering process next, suggesting the gouda and a fresh fruit cup to complement our sanmmich (that's the way it was written on the menu!). Danielle and I shared our egg/bacon/gouda/basil/tomato croissant sandwich (second excellent decision of the day) along with the fruit cup and it was plenty enough for both of us.

Alex was the most diverse with his sandwich choice: he opted for ham with the pesto spread. Deeeee-licious! Sheena gets points in experimentation as well since she got the Mayan Mocha. Alex got the Raspberry Mocha, Danielle got the Mocha, and I got the Caramel Latte. We ate at the tables provided and shared a bite/sip of our goodies with each other (third, and my favorite, excellent decision of the day) as we caught up on life. EVERYTHING WAS AMAZING! This place falls squarely in the "Treasure" category and as Danielle and I were walking back to our car we both said how glad we were that we got to start with such a fantastic place.








For a rating, I'd give The Purple Bean 5 out of 5 trailers for their fabulous atmosphere, outstanding customer service and friendliness, and superb food and coffee at reasonable prices.

Guest reviews (in the order that I received them):

The Purple Bean Café
Breakfast has become one of those boring things that you have to do, like going to work or having your teeth cleaned, or perhaps shaving your legs. You don’t think much about it. You just have your usual oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, etc…and get on with your day. However, the Purple Bean Café is serving up something quite delicious. The Breakfast Sammich! That’s right, not a sandwich, but a sammich. So, how does this sandwich differ from all the rest? Well, it starts off as your basic sandwich, your choice of bread, meat, and cheese, BUT it’s what they add to it that gives it a little kick. It’s topped off with egg, tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, and if you choose wisely, a basil pesto sauce that’s quite tasty. Now, I’m not one to encourage onions and basil at 10:00 in the morning, but breakfast just went to a whole new level with this sandwich! It’s an extremely light sandwich that won’t make you feel overly full but when you combine the sweet tomatoes with red onions, pesto, bacon (my meat of choice), on whole wheat toast, you get just enough flavor to make you appreciate the value of a good breakfast.  
Drinks you should try: Mayan Mocha
Shee

I did not really know what to expect when venturing to The Purple Bean with my food trailer pursuing friends. My biggest hope was for some morning coffee that would liven up my sluggish morning self. Lo and behold, I walked away with this and so much more! If I would have had high expectations, they would have been surpassed. The Purple Bean had incredibly tasty breakfast sandwiches and coffee that even those with the most refined of taste would approve of. All in all, I loved it! I only wish it was closer to my house!

Dani G

The best part of The Purple Bean wasn't the awesome croissanwich I had (ham+basil pesto= crazy delicious), nor was it the really fantastic raspberry mocha I had (which was far better than anything Starbucks makes), but it was the amazing friendly and peppy service. You don't see service like this every day. When you find a place that actually takes pleasure in serving you, it's a place you want to go back to. The Purple Bean is that kind of place.
Alex


1 comment:

  1. I love love LOVE this! Everything about this blog and all the peeps who reviewed for it. Can't wait for more. AND I'm on the search for a New York trailer I can squeeze in to feel like I'm at home with y'all. You are my sunshine!

    ReplyDelete