Monday, February 27, 2012

latenightalicious

Trailer food and drinking have a long history (as I have gathered from the association with cowboys in the beginning times of food trucks) so it is fitting that I visited a classic Austin late-night beacon of deliciousness last weekend. My friend and former co-worker was back in town for a visit and could not stop raving about how much she loved eating at Kebabalicious while she lived here. This probably had as much to do with their location (right across the street from the frequented Mug Shots on 7th) as their tasty, hand-held kebabs. Since we ended up at Mug Shots and I had unintentionally skipped dinner, my opportunity was at hand to sample what Kebablicious had to offer. 



Sheena became my partner in crime, and we decided to share the classic beef/lamb kebab at medium spice level as our midnight snack.  We opted to go with the regular size since we both seem to be unable to find jobs that financially appreciate our skills and talents. It was a short-term economical decision, but worked out well for us in the long run. The friendalicious food truck worker even agreed to take a photo with us!


I instagramed this one. I like how it turned out. 

 

Mug Shots even let us bring the food into the bar so I could continue educating Sheena in the game of pool (billiards, I suppose, is the proper name). This was a really great option seeing as the last six Saturdays in a row there has been a cold front here in Austin and the evening was pretty chilly.

Sheena expertly cut the kebab in half using the greatest tool ever invented and we chowed. There was a bit more meat on my half so Sheenski grabbed a bite off the back of mine to experience the fullness of the kebab.

I loved so many things about this. The medium spice provided excellent flavor paired with the veggies and meat inside, but wasn't overpowering (like I expect the hot level to be). The flat bread was tricky to bite through and probably could have been fresher, but still really wasn't a negative aspect of the meal. The meat filling was quite yummy, I only wish there had been more. It was really the only criticism I had: I wanted more meat! 


We demolished it so quickly, I barely remembered to take a picture. As this demonstrates, we thoroughly enjoyed visiting Kebabalicious. Sheena even mentioned going to eat there again as re-inspiration for the blog! I think she was a happy customer.  

I give this late-night goddess of 7th street 4.5 out of 5 trailers. The location was insanely perfect to satisfy the late-night crowd, the customer service was outstanding and photo-friendly, and the food hit the skipped-dinner-spot in my stomach like a charm. I seriously only wanted more meat. That would have been a trailer rating of 5 for sure.

 Guest Review:

 I always enjoy when friends come to town and visit, it allows me to do very Austin (y) stuff and try new places to eat. Our friend Heather came to town and there was no better way to celebrate her brief return to Austin then having a small get together at Mug-Shots.  If you’ve never been to Mugshots then you should definitely go and check out the laid-back atmosphere. Shalyn even taught me to play pool (this requires it’s own blog)! Across the street from Mugshots is a very delicious and well-known trailer called, Kebabalicious. That’s right my little foodie readers, that’s kebabalicious, five syllables, ends in –licious, and rhymes with delicious. Shalyn and I shared the beef/lamb Turkish style wrap. Typically, I have a problem with lamb.  I have had it many ways and I usually can’t get past the taste. However, I think I found a winner!  This was the most delicious wrap I’ve ever had. There are no words to describe its tastiness.

The beef/lamb was spicy and seasoned to perfection. I loved how the lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and tzatziki sauce seemed to add a creamy richness to the wrap that’s very traditional of Mediterranean food. My only complaint? There wasn’t enough meat. All the meat was packed towards the front end of the wrap that by the time we got to the end we were eating all vegetables. Even so, nothing can take away from the experience of eating one of these wraps.  It’s the perfect midnight snack and the perfect food to go. Out of all the food trailers Shalyn and I have been to, this one is my favorite thus far. 

Sheena

No comments:

Post a Comment